Opportunity: Lead, Integrity of Creation and Climate Change
Reports to: Executive Director, Providence Centre for Justice, Peace and Integrity of Creation
The Providence Centre for Justice, Peace and Integrity of Creation (PC-JPIC) is an operating division of the Catholic Health Sponsors of Ontario (CHSO) and is currently recruiting for a Lead on Integrity of Creation and Climate Change.
About Catholic Health Sponsors of Ontario and PC-JPIC
Catholic Health Sponsors of Ontario (CHSO) was created in 1998 to assume sponsorship of health organizations when religious orders and congregations were ready to move on to other missions. Today, CHSO sponsors 21 organizations that collectively provide programs and services across the continuum of care in 10 communities across Ontario. In 2022 CHSO opened an advocacy centre, PC-JPIC, in response to new congregational needs and the vision of Healthy Communities and Care for All. PC-JPIC is dedicated to work towards a world where all experience compassion, justice, and peace in solidarity with creation.
Reporting to the Executive Director for the Providence Centre for Justice, Peace and Integrity of Creation (the “Centre”), the Lead, Integrity of Creation and Climate Change will have a clear understanding and commitment to the mission of the Providence Centre for Justice, Peace and Integrity of Creation.
The Lead on Integrity of Creation and Climate Change will focus on policies, programs, and activities related to GHG reductions, climate justice, and environmental protection.
Core Responsibilities: *
Integrity of Creation and Climate Change
- Work collaboratively with the PC-JPIC staff team to ensure an integrated approach, which includes justice, fairness, and equity.
- Understand, review, and evaluate policies, programs and legislation related to GHG reductions, environmental protection, and energy poverty on the local, provincial, and federal level through an integral ecology lens.
- Work closely with vulnerable populations and the Low-Income Energy Network to advocate for programs and legislations that ensure access to affordable and efficient energy such as the Ontario Electricity Support Program.
- Plan, organize, facilitate, and implement education, advocacy, and social action initiatives.
- Support education and awareness building for health and social service organizations, in partnership with CHSO.
- Network and collaborate with others including ecumenical, interfaith, and secular partners to support justice, equity, and care of the Earth.
*This listing is representative but not all inclusive
Knowledge and Skills
- A thorough understanding of the science and policies related to climate change, integral ecology, and the social determinants of health.
- Familiarity with the relevant organizations and government agencies related to climate change, environmental justice, and energy poverty.
- Knowledge of current social media tools and best practices including website management, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and related programs.
Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated experience in social justice advocacy and organizing.
- Work independently and be self-driven.
- Leadership and facilitation skills.
- Superior written and oral communication skills.
- Proven community building skills.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Research and teaching skills.
- Demonstrated ability to use existing and emerging social media tools.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team as well as independently.
- Postsecondary credentials or equivalent.
- Demonstrated experience in environmental and/or social justice advocacy.
- Commitment to the mission and vision of the Centre.
Starting salary $74,256.00
If you feel you are an excellent candidate for this position, please send a cover letter and your resume to bridget.doherty (at) chco.ca on or before June 1, 2023.